Thumbnails in file_list/browse_links
|Priority:||Should have||Due date:|
There are several places to active and deactivate if thumbnails are displayed.
I guess this is not easy to understand and thus many users end up using a system that does not display thumbs at all.
Due to the capacities of the internet and the power of servers I guess there are several things we can change:
- Unify the settings to only have
1place to activate and deactivate thumbnails
To unify the settings:
- Rename the option "Show Thumbnails by default" in users' settings to: "Show Thumbnails" yes/no (that option already controls the list module). This is the global option for every user.
- Remove the option "Display thumbnails" within file_list
- Remove the option "Display thumbnails" within browse_links (same)
- Show thumbnails in file_list only if the global option is set
- Show thumbnails in browse_links only if the global option is set
Updated by Fabien Udriot almost 2 years ago
- Status changed from New to Needs Feedback
There are some other suggestions as well at the bottom of #13999 to have it under a contextual User preferences on the top menu. Probably more accessible settings for the User but also harder to realize.
Though, what I agree:
- Thumbnail display should be enabled by default.
Next to that, I am wondring for what reasons would a User want to disable thumbnail display. The only reasons I found is to gain room on the screen. But is this reason good enough to still provide this setting?
Updated by Jens Hoffmann over 1 year ago
Thanks for the details here guys :)
So we agreed to make it a default: .
I use the "off" behavior when there are to manny
Thumbs to show .. as the caching and loading isn't
sexy done, this could get quite slow.