a way to find a page in the page-tree when used link to page
|Priority:||Could have||Due date:|
|Assignee:||Alex Tuveri||% Done:||
|Tags:||backend,shortcut page,target page|
I don't know if there is someone asking for the same thing.
I hope to explain correctly the problem
I have a site with several pages (ab. 400 units), many of them are SHORTCUTS AND I'm using realurl and this implies that:
1.frontend: due to "speaking urls" I can't see then page ID within the URL... so when I find a page with something wrong I can't look for it easily (think about a voice of a menu...)
2. backend: I open the page-tree and the only way to know where it is located is to open the suggestion rolling over within the page-tree. F.x I get:
page id: 78
Connection to the page 'products'
3. I don't know exactly where the page 'products' is located and, If I override the title filling the nav title field, all is more complex becase I'm using different names...
so this is very annoying due to the time wasted looking for the target page.
I suggest or best ask for this feature:
when a page is of the type "Shortcut" the simpliest way to find the target page is to implement the same way used for the page that displays for a CONTENT OF ANOTHER PAGE. In this case TYPO3 add a link (above the columns) that the editor can click and go directly to open the target page.
Thank you very much for your work,
Updated by Jens Hoffmann 9 months ago
- Category changed from Usability to Technical
- Status changed from New to Rejected
- Assignee set to Alex Tuveri
- Priority changed from Must have to Could have
sound like a Technical/User Prob to me.
Maybe you could describe the "issue" again.
1) You could activate via User TS the Page ID, see: http://wiki.typo3.org/Pagetree (pageTree.showPageIdWithTitle)
2) You could parse the orginal Page ID as comment into the HTML code
3) You could use the filter above the pagetree to find a page, and see its context
4) A bad Information Architecture shouldn't be fixed via an UX solution
Updated by Alex Tuveri 9 months ago
- File tyypo3_new_feature_usability.gif added
Thank you Jens!
Forgive me .... I hope to be more clear now. See the image (1) enclosed this message.
"Rolling over" the page-icon I can see the properties of the current page (contact, contatti); have a look to the image and you will see that the page "rollovered" is: pid 198, shortcut to page "Contatti".
Now the target page is very difficult to search within the page tree expecially if you use this link more times with the same name.
In brief I hope that the team can adopt a solution similar when displayed a content of another page, see enclosed image (2)
My suggestion is to to the same or, when I select the page with a shortcut, the right frame should display something as in image part (3), with a link to move fast to the target page.
For me (and some editors) there is very expensive use filters, put the pid into the page (html or outside), etc. this provoke a waste of time.
However options.pageTree.showNavTitle (in my opinion) should be set to 1 as default. Infact several sites uses the field 'title' in a verbose mode to describe the content of the page. When the editor/admin uses this feature and showNavTitle is set to '1' there is a correspondency 1 to 1 beetwen an item of a menu in the page and the page-tree. And if there is not filled the field "navtitle" TYPO3 uses the field title then for the sites that are not using this SEO feature all is always OK.