Next » -
Ingmar Schlecht, 2011-10-05 13:25
- Migration wizard for integrating contents of an uploads/.../ folder to the asset database
- This has to be done on a per table/field base. Successful migration should be saved in some config var so the system will know where to use old or new relation handling
- Copy files to a defined/selectable location, create asset records, merge duplicates, change relations from file names to a relation
- Remove the uploads folder completely? Thus all files are in fileadmin and not spread around and uploaded maybe multiple times. An option would be to move files into fileadmin/migrated_files/ - that's most likely all we can do.
- soft migration path: Only migrate extensions that are ready, administrators have full control. No automatic migration (except core tables maybe)
- offer an easy API for accessing media data that can also handle the old way of relations. This will leave the decision to the admin, not the developer -> easier adoption
- Handling of group fields in TCEforms/TCEmain has to be adjusted: for internal_type = file or file_reference, there has to be additional code for handling new relations (this will only come into action for migrated fields, where the old code will not work anymore)
- Ingo: I'd go for a completely new system where we do not have to care about BC, will make a lot of things a lot easier. After all it's a new feature. The migration wizard needs to take care of the transition though.