h1. TYPO3 4.5.0 alpha3
h2. Upgrading and compatibility
Please note that this version is released as an alpha release. It shows a snapshot of our development so far on the road to 4.5.0, which will be released in January 2011. Take a look at the [[Release Plan]] for more information about the schedule.
To upgrade an existing installation of 4.4 to 4.5.0alpha3, please consider the following steps:
* Visit the Install Tool:
** Use the "Database COMPARE" section and apply all database schema changes.
** Use the "Update Wizard" to enable old modules that are now system extensions (filelist, info, perm, func).
* See "typo3/sysext/fluid/ChangeLog.txt":https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core/tags/TYPO3_4-5-0alpha2/typo3/sysext/fluid/ChangeLog.txt for some breaking changes in Fluid which might affect your extensions.
* See "typo3/sysext/extbase/ChangeLog.txt":https://svn.typo3.org/TYPO3v4/Core/tags/TYPO3_4-5-0alpha2/typo3/sysext/extbase/ChangeLog.txt for some changes in Extbase (caching issue fixed) that might also require changes in your extbase extensions.
* The API for registering additional cache frontends or backends has changed. As of TYPO3 4.5 only the classname needs to be specified in favor of both path to the php file and the classname. Instead the class needs to be registered for autoloading. See "15586":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15586) for details. Example:
h2. New installations
Try out the *introduction package* which provides a very easy way of installing TYPO3 and having some example setup already in place.
h2. Changes and improvements
This will list the noteable changes and improvements between TYPO3 4.5alpha2 and 4.5alpha3. For technical details see ChangeLog included in the typo3_src package. For a list of all changes between the current stable 4.4 and 4.5 alpha3, please read:
* [[TYPO3 4.5.0alpha1]]
* [[TYPO3 4.5.0alpha2]]
* We now use HTML5 as the default TYPO3 Backend doktype ("15844":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15844). This will allow us to make use of newer browser features. Of course we will still maintain compatibility with IE6, having some graceful fallback where necessary.
* Whole new mail API based on SwiftMailer which will replace t3lib_htmlmail ("15998":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15998).
* Added an easy way of creating news that are displayed below the login form in the /typo3 login screen. Just create records of type "System News" in your root folder. ("15812":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15812 and "16004":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=16004)
* Allow to override a XML file in $GLOBALS['TYPO3_CONF_VARS']['SYS']['locallangXMLOverride'] using the "real" .xml filename (instead of pseudo .php file) ("15942":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15942)
* Moved TCA definitions of "pages" from typo3/sysext/cms/ext_tables.php to t3lib/stddb/tbl_pages.php ("15988":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15988)
h3. Install tool
* Added a pre-check for required php-extensions in the 1-2-3 installer ("15075":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15075)
h3. Skin / Backend UI
* Updated ExtJS to version 3.3.0 ("15970":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15970)
* ExtJS tabs are now styled the "TYPO3-way" ("15783":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15783)
* Added current flags from famfam in t3skin in a nice sprite ("15229":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15229)
* The checkbox to clear a field in TCA was removed and moved into the input field as a small "x" on the right ("16006":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=16006). The same checkbox used to select the default date on a date field, this can now be done in the calendar.
* Integrated a generic notification methods to show windows and dialogs in the backend based on ExtJS ("15745":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15745). Just access them with TYPO3.Window and TYPO3.Dialog.
* RTEhtmlarea uses these new methods for creating dialogs ("15879":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15879)
* Introduce a new CSH API function and make use of it in TCEforms ("15990":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15990)
* t3editor now also enables syntax highlighting when editing files in fileadmin, for example when editing HTML, SQL, XML files ("15907":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15907 and "15950":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15950). We also updated the underlying codemirror to the latest version (0.9).
* New translations and copies of content elements are now hidden by default ("15611":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15611). This eases work of translators, in that the "[Translate to language]" elements do not appear in the frontend right away. The default of "show hidden elements" has been changed to "true".
* Implemented a new condition for the current page record in PageTS ("15696":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15696). This allows settings for example like this:
<pre><code>mod.SHARED.colPos_list = 0
[page|layout = 1]
mod.SHARED.colPos_list = 1,0
* Allow to add query parameters (&...) to internal links (e.g. in fields with browse_links and images) ("14658":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=14658). This used to be a feature of RTEhtmlarea links only.
h3. Extbase / Fluid
h3. TypoScript / Frontend
* Added a new page-option to force SSL on a page ("15621":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15621). This makes extensions like "https_enforcer" obsolete.
* Add new cObject SVG, which works on all browsers ("15900":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15900). It uses "svgweb library":http://code.google.com/p/svgweb/ to provide cross-browser support. Example use:
<pre><code>page = PAGE
config.doctype = html_5
10 = SVG
<rect x="100" y="100" width="500" height="200" fill="white" stroke="black" stroke-width="5px"/>
<line x1="0" y1="200" x2="700" y2="200" stroke="red" stroke-width="20px"/>
<polygon points="185 0 125 25 185 100" transform="rotate(135 125 25)" />
<circle cx="190" cy="150" r="40" stroke="black" stroke-width="2" fill="yellow"/>
noscript.cObject = TEXT
noscript.cObject.value = NO SVG rendering possible
width = 600
height = 600
* Created a new abstract class t3lib_message_abstractmessage ("15989":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15989) to be used as a super-class over flashmessages and other kinds of messages to come.
* Added a mode to debug the backend ("15966":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=15966)
* Added hook into the marker replacement functionality for BE templates ("16026":http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=16026)
h3. Database API / DBAL
h2. Still to come
We have had very good results during our Code Sprint in Stuttgart from 14h to 17th October. Some teams worked hard on their tasks, which are not yet included in alpha3, but for which plenty of progress happened.
* The Workspaces team and lots of new stuff regarding usability in the WS-module,
* "UTF-8 by default" is ready and will be included in beta1,
* "Page tree"
* Usability enhancements coming from the usability team and implemented by helping developers,
It seems to be the right time for you to give us a help by:
* Joining our teams,
* Reviewing issues that are already pending on the core list,
* Supply patches for new features or bug fixes,
* Participate in discussions on the typo3.projects.v4 list around new features and concepts.