13th Release Team Meeting TYPO3 4.7¶
The 4.7 release team meets weekly for a Skype discussion round on the current activities.
If you find this report interesting or have some comment or question about a particular topic, don't hesitate to follow-up on the thread in the core mailing list.
On Monday, March 5th 2012 we held our 12th meeting with the following participants:
- Steffen Ritter (4.7 Release Manager)
- Xavier Perseguers (4.6 Release Manager)
- Ernesto Baschny (4.5 Release Manager)
- Benni Mack (4.4 Release Manager)
- Ben van't Ende (Community Manager)
- Oliver Hader (Core Team Leader)
TYPO3 4.5 // TYPO3 4.6¶
- There are currently about 40 - 50 merged bugfixes for TYPO3 4.5 and TYPO3 4.6 each. For TYPO3 4.4 there are only 4 bugfixes merged.
We decided to release new versions of 4.5 and 4.6 on Tuesday, March 6th 2012.
- Ernesto takes care of informing all the submodule-linked teams to prepare their repository.
- On Tuesday, March 13th 2012 the Release Team will publish a Release Canditate for 4.6 and 4.5 containing the first Feature Backports to stable branches.
- Two weeks later, these backports will be released as normal "patch-level" version, if no problems occur.
- Ernesto and Xavier are going to check, what needs to be integrated to the Backport Release Candidates, as until now not many patches are merged to the backport branches yet.
- The Government Package has been broken on Beta1. This already has been fixed with Releasing a new Snapshot.
- The blank package currently does not work correctly either. about and aboutmodules have introduced dependencies on extbase, which is not installed by default within the blank/dummy package. Steffen R. is going to change the Blank/Dummy package to make extbase and fluid enabled by default.
Reinstating Beta 3 // Small exception to Feature Freeze¶
- The Extbase Team is going to meet up in the Week after Beta2 to fix long outstanding Bugs (f.e. with Workspaces) and some issues for 4.7. Furthermore some little features might be included in Extbase there as well as the bugfixes of bigger stuff might need to change the API a little bit. To enable the Extbase Team putting full efforts into their Code-Sprint an Exception to the Feature Freeze is granted to them. This is not a general "exception", but will be done for every probably newly introduced feature in Extbase seperately comparing benefits and impact to the TYPO3 4.7 release.
Adapting Introduction Package and Government Package¶
- Information in IP and GP somehow is outdated and the current content does not reflect our feature sets.
Olly will create an Manual about what can be adapted at the Content-Masters as well as move the GP to a official place, so that Editing may start.
- Especially the Workspaces Demonstration in IP should be enhanced as well as the HTML5 Video/Audio stuff should be explained in Detail.
We should furthermore think about moving from tt_news to news.
Within the Government Package the information about FAL and the accessible gallery needs to be removed and the accessible search plugin should be integrated.
- After the changes all pages have to be revalidated - in terms of Content as well as in terms of code-compliance.
Release Planning and transparency¶Tolleiv remarked in the core internal list, that the last weeks of Release Team work have not been as transparent as they should have been.
Release Notes were ommitted and most communication happened on Twitter.
- We agreed that there should be release notes, even on canceled meetings just to inform the community, that we did not forget about them.
- Steffen on purpose did not touch any "Bugfix" issue on forge prior to the Feature Freeze, which now sadly leads to empty "milestones" since Beta1 is released, but no new assignments have been done in Laax. Steffen will now clean-up the issue tracker and assign issues according to milestones within the roadmap.
TYPO3 4.8/6.0 and FAL¶We shortly discussed the further progress of FAL.
- The API has been merged to master already as promised in our News Last week. One round of additional comment and CGL CleanUp already has been done by Georg Ringer.
- If the 6.0 release is not to be published in October we should release a 4.8 with FAL, as customers really awaiting the FAL.
- If we release 6.0 in October and FAL is part of it, we could drop some parts of the backwards compatibility (like supporting the 3.8 - 4.6 TypoScript Rendering) which would allow us to remove FAL-compatibility Layer which are - code wise - are not really fun, and therefore lead to a much cleaner FAL integration.
- The current master will be merged back to plain-fileabstraction branch on Incubator.git and the Team will finish up most of the 100 open issues within March - afterwards the fixed patch-sets will again pushed to Gerrit.
As the version 4 team now is not held captive anymore regarding our Feature Development we shortly talked about the need to apply a strategy and vision and general roadmap to our further development. Based upon that there should be a presentation prepared which all Core-Developers may use to present the changes according to new versioning, roadmap and strategy to whatever Community event (like Camps, Usergroups, DevDays ...) they join.