New graphics for TYPO3 CMS roadmap
Last weekend the (co-) leaders of the TYPO3 CMS Core Team created a suggestion on the roadmap for upcoming regular releases and LTS releases.
For accordant communication we need several graphics to be modified/extended.
To be used for articles, presentations as a reference on the timeline and the accordant releases.
- in 710x220 px as header for http://typo3.org/teams/core-development-team/resources/release-workflow/
- 981x282 px as key-visual for front-page on typo3.org
Changes & Tasks¶
There's a second tab "graphical release plan" which shows the timelines
- create concrete timeline until TYPO3 CMS 6.2
- for everything after 6.2 we know when it shall be released, but don't know whether it's 6.3 or 7.0 - thus we used "6.2 +1", "6.2 +2", etc. - maybe this can be "roughly" visualized
- currently we had a bug fixing period (darker) and a security period in the end (lighter), this will change a bit into
- phase for "regular bug fixes" (only for the current stable version, no old-stable anymore, thus only 6 months)
- phase for "priority and security bug fixes" (for the remaining 12 months)
- extension of the "regular bug fixes" phase and "priority and security bug fixes" phase for TYPO3 4.5 LTS each by 3 months
- TYPO3 4.5 LTS
- "darker" until April 2014 (+3 months)
- "lighter" until October 2014 (+3 months)
- TYPO3 6.0
- "transparent" from April 2012 until November 2012 (+1 month)
- "darker" from November 2012 (+1 month) until October 2013
- "ligher" from October 2013 until April 2014
- TYPO3 6.1
- "transparent" from November 2012 (+1 month) until April 2013
- "darker" from April 2013 until October 2013 (-6 months)
- "lighter" from October 2013 (-6 months) until October 2014
- TYPO3 6.2 LTS
- "transparent" from April 2013 until October 2013
- "darker" from October 2013 until October 2015
- "lighter" from October 2015 until October 2016
This leads to an overlapping period for LTS version (4.5 and 6.2) of 12 months.
#6 Updated by Michael Stucki almost 7 years ago
- Assignee changed from Oliver Hader to Artem Matevosyan
many thanks for your graphics! I have some feedback which was already discussed with Oliver. We agreed that I'll just add it here myself.
- TYPO3 4.5 LTS is currently declared to reach end-of-live in 2014-04, however we are extending this for 6 months until 2014-10 (for providing 1 year migration phase to 6.2). I think we should somehow emphasize that this is an update to the original release agenda.
- The bugfix phases for TYPO3 6.2 LTS are defined in the wrong order (it's already wrong in the definition above): It should have regular bugfixes for 1 year and security support for 2 years (currently, it's 2/1 instead 1/2)
- It is not really clear if the dates, e.g. "2014 October" match with the line left from it, or right from it. Maybe you can make this more clear somehow?
I received the feedback from various people that LTS versions should be emphasized more. Agencies see a need to make it more clear why a LTS version is used for their project, and not the newer version, e.g. TYPO3 4.7 instead of TYPO3 4.5 LTS. The suggestion was to make the lines for LTS releases bigger than the regular in-between releases.
I think it's a great idea and would like to see a proposal with/without the bigger box so we can put it up for discussion. Most likely the marketing team needs to decide about this in the end.
I'm currently here at the typo3.org code sprint, so it would be great if you can make these changes and ask me if anything is unclear.
Thanks in advance!
#11 Updated by Sebastian Michaelsen almost 7 years ago
- for versions 4.6, 4.7 and 6.0: 1year regular bugfixing and ½ year priority bugfixing.
- for version 6.1 and later: ½ year of regular bugfixing and 1year priority bugfixing.
is this policy change correct?
Edit: Yes, the data in the pdf is right as it reflect this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AscRLPA1pqfQdEpUQVFVSjBQN1g5QnBQbTR5MmlJTXc#gid=1
#13 Updated by Michael Stucki over 6 years ago
- Assignee changed from Oliver Hader to Ben van 't Ende
The article has just been published!
I will ask Ben to update the front page using the new stage headers.
#14 Updated by Michael Stucki almost 6 years ago
- File TYPO3_Release_Agenda_LTS-2013-v2.pdf added
- File TYPO3_Release_Agenda_LTS-2013-v2.png View added
Steffen Ritter has created new graphics after the postponement of 6.2 LTS. It includes extended maintenance times for 4.5 and 4.7 (to be announced later today...)