Information about "TYPO3 project contribution" is not always displayed on the profile page
On the project page for each user on forge there is a list of projects on the bottom left:
If someone has contributed to the TYPO3 core, it should be listed here. However, this is only the case for a small subset of contributors.
For some contributors, "TYPO3 Core" contributor is not displayed. Also, they are not displayed in the list of Contributors on the TYPO3 project page
If you filter through the git commits, you can find over 700 committers. Even if this is deduplicated and the bots filtered out, I would expect it would still leave you with over 500 committers. The github page lists 435 contributors. On the TYPO3 project page, you can find about 80 contributors. 80 out of more than 400!
Examples of people where TYPO3 project contribution is displayed:¶
Just take any from the "Contributors" section on the TYPO3 project page
Example of people where it is not:¶
- "Bastian Waidelich": https://forge.typo3.org/users/61 (245 commits in the TYPO3 project")
- "Rupert Germann": https://forge.typo3.org/users/397 (156 commits in the TYPO3 project")
Why is this not a good thing?¶
- First of all, for marketing reasons, I think it looks good if TYPO3 has a large number of contributors. Currently the project page (https://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3cms-core) does not reflect reality and I think this is bad.
- It kind of creates a 2-class system for the contributors. Some are listed in the TYPO3 project, some are not. So you finally contributed, but for some weird reason, you're not listed on the project page while people with 1 or 2 patches are ... (?!?)
- It makes some tasks more difficult. For example, I wanted to append some information about contribution to issues where people uploaded patches. I do not want to do this if someone already contributed. So I check the profile page for every case, where this could be applied. Because of this problem, it is not easily determinable if someone is a contributor to the TYPO3 core.
Updated by Sybille Peters about 3 years ago
- Tracker changed from Bug to Feature
Ok, this was a misunderstanding of mine. It seems someone needs to manually be added to the project for it to show on their profile page. My bad.
I was expecting this to automatically happen as is the case on github, e.g. https://github.com/TYPO3-Documentation/TYPO3CMS-Reference-CoreApi/graphs/contributors
So this issue should be closed, I guess. Because it is not a technical bug.
I do however find it less than ideal that only some of the contributors are displayed on the project page for the core: https://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3cms-core
So I am changing this from "Bug" to "Feature".