DAM requires TYPO3 version 4.2.4 because of bug http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=9511. Debian/Ubuntu systems are known to be affected by this bug. If you do not have such a system, you can ignore this requirement but you will need TYPO3 version 4.2.3 at least.
DAM also requires static_info_tables, so you might want to install this extension first.
To install DAM itself just import it from TER and install it. The extension key is 'dam'.
Make sure you update the reference index after installation of the dam!
Installing needed extensions¶
To comfortably work with DAM in the backend and get something out in frontend, at least the following extensions are a requirement.
- dam_index is needed for adding meta data automatically, when you upload a file or when you want to batch index multiple files.
- dam_catedit is the category editor of DAM.
- dam_ttcontent lets you use media items (and meta data) in the content elements of type Image and Text with Image.
Installing optional extensions¶
- dam_cron In case you want to upload files via ftp or the like you migh also want to install dam_cron to be able to autoindex the new files based on a cron job (a time-based scheduling service).
Service extensions will help you to extract meta data from your media files automatically. Below you find a list of those extensions with a short note on what they do and what the requirements on the server are.
- cc_metaexif (metaExtract: EXIF & IPTC) extracts EXIF and IPTC and XMP data using either the PHP functions
exif_read_data(), or using the external applications exiftags and exiftool. XMP data will only be extracted if exiftool is installed.
- cc_metaexec (metaExtract: PDF) extracts meta data from PDF-files by using the external application pdfinfo.
- cc_txtextexec (textExtract: pdf, doc, xls) extracts meta data from PDF-files using the external application pdftotext, Microsoft Word documents using the external application catdoc, and Microsoft Exel documents using the external application xls2csv.
- cc_txtextphp relies on PHP only and extracts data from the filetypes txt, html, xml, and sgml.
- cc_langguess tries to guess the language of your texts by using the respective Perl features.
- cc_textcat (TextCat) is an implementation of the text categorization algorithm "N-Gram-Based Text Categorization" in Perl.
- cc_meta_audio (metaExtract: Audio) extracts metadata from audio and video files of certain formats. Requires extension getid3.
- meta_openoffice (Open Office metadata) extracts metadata from Open Office files. Requires ZIP support enabled in PHP. Use phpinfo() module in the install tool to verify.
All the external applications mentioned above (exiftags, exiftool, pdfinfo, pdftotext, catdoc, xls2csv, Perl) are usually available on a linux server and can be installed under Windows as well.
Checking whether the services work¶
- Choose Module Media->Tools
- In the select list on top of the main frame, select Services Info
You will be rewarded with an overview which services work and which do not:
In case some of the services do not work, this may have one of the following reasons:
a) Some external application is not installed
In this case, install them or ask your provider to do so for you.
b) TYPO3 is unable to find the applications
In this case you need to adapt you need to adapt the variable
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['binPath'] via the Install tool or by manually editing your
What happened to your backend so far?¶
Installing DAM and it's co-extensions makes the following visible changes in your backend:
1) A new module Media with some submodules has been added to the module frame, while the traditional module File has been removed.
2) A new page Media, the so called Media Folder, has been added to your pagetree as a direct child of your homepage. This is where all meta data of your files will be stored.
3) The editing forms for the content elements Image and Text with Image have changed.
Todo: Screenshot with images, finding out about CE Filelinks and Media