3rd Party Evaluation: How do other applications handle semantics?¶
We aim to get an impression about how other software handles semantics mainly in terms of data model and user interface. The goal is identify best practices which can be of use for the S.C.O.T.T.Y. project.
Abstract¶This page aims give an overview about how semantics are handled in 3rd party software. There was a group at the T3DD10 S.C.O.T.T.Y. workshop, which started with the task, but did yet not complete it. It turned out that this task is rather a big one. So it has to be completed subsequent to the workshop. The main steps are:
- Identify applications with (advanced) implementation of semantics, especially CMS
- Evaluate the chosen systems in terms of:
- What data model do the systems use?
- What standards, formats or languages do the systems implement?
- How does the user interface look like?
Identification of applications with (advanced) implementation of semantics, especially CMS beside TYPO3.¶The suggested applications in the workshop were:
- FLOW3 / Extbase
- Nepumuk (KDE Semantic Desktop)
Evaluation the chosen systems¶
The group at the T3DD10 workshop mainly focused on the taxonomy module of Drupal, because our impression was that it comes with an advanced implementation of semantic.
This is a rough sketch of our impression, which will be refined soon.
- Main features
- Taxonomy "terms" (alternatively category/tag)
- Vocabulary is a set of terms of a certain topic or aspect
- Terms can also be organized in parent/child relationship
- Hierarchical relationships, also advanced kind like one child with many parents
- Non-hierarchical relationships
- Synonyms (different terms with the same meaning)
- Q: How does Drupal create frontend views (like list views)
- A: There are general views, where nodes of any kind can be applied.
- Q: How and why did Drupal change it's taxonomy model from version 6 to 7?
- Q: Hot to configure relations?
- A: Configuration is possible from different perspectives: from the taxonomy-vocabulary or from the content type.
- Q: Is it possible to apply relations to other relation?
- A: You cannot apply a term to terms, but you could create a content type for terms and apply terms to it.
to be continued (Steffen)
to be finished