What does it do: It replaces the default RTE HTMLArea with the very popular TinyMCE¶Features: (video)
- A very straight forward port of TinyMCE for TYPO3.
- Uses the newest TinyMCE version and it can easily be updated manually. (Includes a patch system if you upgrade the TinyMCE files manually, as there are a few small modifications required for it to work correctly with TYPO3.)
- Almost the same configuration format as TinyMCE.
- Completely configurable using Page TSConfig (popup size, thumbnail size, default link/image tab...)
- Override default Page TSConfig configuration for users in the User TSConfig.
- Use of a gzip version (for faster load) [also file cache support]
- Supports all languages available for TinyMCE through another extension (tinymce_languages)
- Configuration for RTE Transformations to allow tables, styles, classes, ids, etc. directly in the RTE.
- Improved linkhandler. Now you can link not only to pages and content elements, but also records from other extensions such as tt_news, tt_address etc.
- Advanced templating. You can create advanced HTML/JS/PHP templates for inclusion in the RTE.
- Improved link attributes. Now you can set whatever attribute you want on the A tag. You are no longer limited to href, target and classs (Like in HTMLArea)
- Uses DHTML popup windows for link and image browser. (Opens much faster than regular popup windows.)
- Can be used as FE Plugin.
- Includes API for use in own extensions.
- You can have more than one active RTE per page. (Works in both BE and FE)
- The editor window can be resized to any size you want. Also has a option for switching to fullscreen without having to reload the page.
- Browserfriendly - Works in Mozilla, MSIE, FireFox, Opera, Safari and Chrome.
Why should I switch from HTMLArea to TinyMCE RTE?¶
- It's smaller and loads faster. The code for TinyMCE RTE is loaded ONCE during BE initialization. All instances of TinyMCE then uses that code, making it extremely fast, and doesn't use unnecessary memory. HTMLArea in comparison loads the code EVERY TIME the RTE is loaded.
- Works perfectly IRRE elements containing RTE's. (This is not possible with HTMLArea, due to it loads it code for EVERY RTE, filling up the memory.)
- It has more features than HTMLArea.
- It's based on a RTE with an active development. The official development of HTMLArea ceased in 2006/2007 (See: http://www.dynarch.com/projects/htmlarea/), while TinyMCE is constantly being improved and updated.
- configure TinyMCE
- TinyMCE RTE visual button configuration utility
- common TinyMCE configuration
- linkhandler support (allow linking to tt_news and other non-CE records)
- TinyMCE templates
- TinyMCE typo3fileadmin Plugin (allow to create links with 2 clicks)
- FE Plugin
- Advanced Tasks (incl. use other languages)
- Update patcher
- Session Slides