News

Surf Team Meeting January 15th, 2015 (12 comments)

Added by Helmut Hummel over 4 years ago

Attendees: Martin Kutschker, Rens Admiraal, Tobias Liebig, Karsten Dambekalns, Christopher Hlubek, Helmut Hummel

A release on the horizon

Main topic of this meeting was to get a first official release of TYPO3 Surf out.
In the end we all agreed to tag a version 0.9 as soon as possible and after that continue to work on bigger refactoring to clean up the public API which potentially breaks existing deployment definitions.

By doing so, current users can set 0.9.* as version requirements for their Surf installation so that they will not be bothered by such breaking changes.

We identified the following minimum requirements for a 0.9.0 release:

  • Creating a base distribution for Surf to ease the installation
    • TODOs for that:
      • Create a git repo on typo3.org infrastructure, preferably Surf/Distributions/Base -> Karsten takes care
      • Create a Gerrit project -> Karsten takes care
      • Get the documentation automatically rendered on docs.typo3.org -> Karsten will contact Martin Bless
      • Improve documentation with a few more practical examples (deployment definitions), specifically explain the difference between using an Application object which bundles deployment setps for this application and explicitly adding all deployment steps in the deployment definition
  • Get a few critical bugs fixed and go through open Gerrit changes to see if there are some small non breaking changes ready to get into it.

After that we can just create a tag to get it out.

Cleanup, refactor, improve for the 1.0 release

We also talked about some ideas what we consider to be necessary for a 1.0 release. Main point was to go through the public API and fix inconsistencies and prepare the architecture to be able to bundle everything as a phar, which would vastly improve usage and installation of Surf.

For that some technical things need to be tackled like dealing with Flow cache files, finding deployment definitions and finding a concept to then still be able to extend the functionality of the phar bundle.

To better promote the product we plan to add a product page on typo3.org, so that it becomes more visible as individual product. Helmut will get in touch with Boris Hinzer to find an appropriate place for that page.

How to proceed

Everybody seemed to be happy to see some action in the project. The expectation that change requests in Gerrit will not stay there "forever" dramatically improved the motivation to push more changes or review some of them. If everybody can free a small amount of time, we could achieve a lot during the next months.

In general we agreed to add more tests and being more strict by requiring test coverage for pending changes, so that we can be more confident to not break things during refactoring and contributions.

The issue list on forge will be cleaned up gradually and target versions will be assigned to tickets, so that we can get a better overview of the missing work to be done for the next and future releases.

Team

Martin Kutschker now is a team member, thus will get +2 permissions on Gerrit. Welcome Masi!
Helmut was asked to take the leadership role for the project and he humbly accepted his new role in the team.
Everybody also subscribed to the Slack channel #typo3-surf where we will quickly discuss things if needed.

    (1-1/1)

    Also available in: Atom