2018-04-12 Regular Team Meeting¶
Daniel Siepmann, Harry Glatz, Martin Bless, Mathias Brodala, Mathias Schreiber, Mona Muzaffar, Nikolai Townsend, Sybille Peters
Excused: Christian Kuhn
Beginning of the meeting: 10:25 CEST.
We are re-establishing the team itself and regular team meeting. These notes are therefore long and not perfectly sorted.
What is a team member?
- a team member is generally interested
- is willing to show up consistently (hangouts, sprints, communication)
- is willing to create value in one way or another
- is willing to take over responsibility of some kind
The plan is to have regular online team meetings (Slack call) once a month
on the second Thursday of the month at 11.00 am CEST. Until 12.00 am at most.
This makes the dates:
2018-05-03 11.00 am CEST (first Thursday, exception because of holiday)
2018-06-14 11.00 am CEST
2018-07-12 11.00 am CEST
2018-08-09 11.00 am CEST
2018-09-13 11.00 am CEST
Let's have a "mission statement" in mind:¶
- we want to take care of TYPO3's documentation needs
- we want team members to benefit from their work in the team
- it's not the team's main job to do all the writing itself
- the team facilitates, helps, organizes, creates the infrastructure, teaches
technical stuff and writing skills
BTW: 2017 really has been a major breakthrough for TYPO3 documentation.
The community really picked up the writing stuff.
Though the team had been very small, we had more contributors than ever.
"How exactly do we work?" is what the team should clarify for itself in
- how to organize ourself:
- What tasks do we see?
- How do we assign responsibilites?
- How do we keep track of tasks?
- Where do we report in the public? (typo3.org, news, forge, twitter, blog, "team document")
- How do we communicate what we are doing?
- How do we make sure that incoming requests to the documentation team are handled properly?
- How can we pull more people in?
Results and what we said:¶
- Rendering should run on TYPO3 GmbH Bamboo in the future. This we can parallelize and scale rendering in the future.
- Issues should be at the "target".
Saying so, issues regarding infrastructure are inside of Jira.
Issues regarding documentations are at Github in the repositories.
Issues about the theme and Sphinx-extensions are in their repositories at Github.
- A domain expert should be determined for each area (security, TCA, TypoScript, etc.) to ensure final reviews of proposed changes.
More results of today:
- Martin's going to come up with a document for collaboration.
- Martin's going to cleanup the membership and access right djungle at Forge and Github.
- Sybille is connecting with Harry to find a suitable task right now.
- Nikolai wants to gain more understanding, for example about local rendering with Docker.
- Mona and Martin already had a longer hangout the other day to prepare for the user experience week.
Areas to take care of:¶(in alphabetical order:)
- Care about the infrastructure (theme, tools, server, search)
- Github issues
- handle Github Pull Request: every member can check in nobrainers and "easy" stuff.
For expert stuff we need to know who is willing to be the expert for that manual.
- Keep our contributors satisfied (quick response, Lob, Aufmunterung)
- Restructure existing documentation
- Teach the techniques (reST markup, Github workflow)
- Teach the writing (styleguide, ...)
Task details: Describe and put into words: "How we work"¶
- Martin's Proposal: Let's use "T3DocTeam at work" for textual collaboration. Give Martin a chance and let's see if it works out. Martin is going to explain the details to the individual members. At the moment it is: https://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/drafts/github/T3DocumentationStarter/Public-Info-054/
- Use Slack channel #documentation-team for within-group communication.
Task details: Teaching Docs¶
- See also: https://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/drafts/github/T3DocumentationStarter/Public-Info-001/TeachingDocs/
Task details: Develop a "Documentation Styleguide"¶
- See also: https://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/drafts/github/T3DocumentationStarter/Public-Info-001/StyleGuides/Index.html
Make that a chapter in the "How to document TYPO3 projects" guide.
Task details: Deal with the Wiki¶
- See also: 2017-12-01 Discussion at Slack https://typo3.slack.com/archives/C028JEPJL/p1512157494000437 in Channel typo3-documentation
Task details: Teach how to document and pull people in¶
- See also: https://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/drafts/github/T3DocumentationStarter/Public-Info-001/TeachingDocs/Index.html
- How do we keep track of which manual with which branch is in what state of progress and needs editorial attention?
- How do we communicate this to potential contributors, for example those at the UXweek?
- What is the policy for creating and maintaining branches (e.g. which branches, see TCA, Extbase / Fluid)
- What to do with Extbase/Fluid book? (and other Extbase/Fluid related docs / references, e.g. viewhelpers)
- Status of search engine, next steps
- Should we display "version hints" (e.g. "new in version 8.7", "changed in version 9.2") in docs. Example: TCA Ref? (see https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/configuration/minion.html#master-port-syntax)
- Tell me something about" needs more work. Who can help?
- Structure of contribution guide(s) (docs, core, translation, general)
- Define best-practices for contribution (in docs contribution guide)
- github / forge / jira
Should all (public) documentation git projects and their (still relevant) open issues be moved from forge to github?
- Inform & Motivate: Can we / do we want to do more to recruit contributors and direct them to the tasks needed?
- What do do with "old" docs pages on typo3.org: https://typo3.org/documentation/ (this question may be obsolete
with new.typo3.org) Looks like it's 404 since launch and moved to https://typo3.org/community/teams/documentation/ ?
((the place for you to jump in with anything))
- The next meeting will take place on Thursday, May 3, 2018 11:00 CEST
- All further meetings will be on the 2nd Thursday of each month
End of the meeting: 11:30 CEST.
Notes for the next meeting: https://notes.typo3.org/p/T3DocTeam-2018-05-03
The notes were: https://notes.typo3.org/p/T3DocTeam-2018-04-12
It has been moved to Forge wiki: https://forge.typo3.org/projects/team-docteam/wiki/2018-04-12
Forge overview: https://forge.typo3.org/projects/team-docteam/wiki/index