Server Team Meeting, 2012-09-18¶
Attendees: Peter Niederlag, Christian Trabold, Steffen Gebert, Bastian Bringenberg, Michael Stucki
Beginning of the meeting: 08:00 CEST.
Open Issues from last meetings¶
- [INFO] Michael finished the protocols for the last two meetings:
- [INFO] Issue list: http://forge.typo3.org/projects/team-server-public/issues?query_id=379
- [TASK] Close unused Mantis projects (see http://forge.typo3.org/issues/41020)
Bastian will help Michael
- [INFO] Gerrit Upgrade is scheduled for today, all tests have worked well, we are on track!
- status.typo3.org Server: We discussed some improvements to the current site. Bastian will take care:
- [TASK] Server on Error should be on top: http://forge.typo3.org/issues/41025
- [TASK] Possibility to hide server out of zabbix: http://forge.typo3.org/issues/41024
- [TASK] Status Slow should be Status Acknowledged: http://forge.typo3.org/issues/41023
- [TASK] Status Page should support Mobile Devices: http://forge.typo3.org/issues/40942
- [TASK] Christian says: The most important (and difficult) issue is to get a solid tool chain for logs and metrics. Once these tools run smoothly, we have much more possibilities and room for awesome features (like more details on the statusboard)
- [INFO] Inspiration for a status in the future http://fdietz.github.com/team_dashboard/ Christian wants to enable each team to commit useful metrics to feed a centralized TYPO3 dashboard (longterm)
- [TASK] The new backup server still needs to be installed. Steffen and Michael need to discuss the next steps. (see http://forge.typo3.org/issues/37280)
- [INFO] Priorities: 1. Move the server to the new data center, 2. Change to tape drive backups, 3. Try to automate the configuration of new hosts
- [INFO] The documentation is currently not up to date. Please update the wiki when you add/remove a new server
- [INFO] Peter will meet with Stefan Sprenger this Friday and prepare the Redmine update. We are very much looking forward to this, thanks Peter and Stefan!
- [INFO] Forge projects for Chef cookbooks. Multiple projects have been created in Forge for this. Michael mentions that it will be possible to use multiple repositories in one project in Redmine 1.4.0 and later (see http://www.redmine.org/issues/779). Peter thinks this is interesting but probably can't be used right now.
- [INFO] We discussed if there is a better way to run the Redmine site (like passenger/fcgi/nginx/unicorn etc.). It needs to be considered that we still need to be able to run PHP scripts (for SSO).
- [INFO] It is important to focus on the "Redmine" issues. The workshop should be focused on cleaning up Redmine. Getting it to work with Chef is low priority and can be addressed in another workshop.
Central Message Queue¶
- [INFO] Steffen explains the idea of introducing a central message queue for triggering certain tasks like "render documentation of xy", "run test xy on TravisCI", etc. (see http://forge.typo3.org/issues/41022)
- [INFO] Steffens favourite for this is currently Beanstalkd
- [INFO] Christian mentions we should take a look at Hubot: http://hubot.github.com/ (Hubot is your company's robot.)
- [INFO] Christian mentions that the logging server will bring an ActiveMQ (if we want to stick to the recommendations of http://kibana.org/infrastructure.html), which we can also use to build a Central Message Queue.
See http://blog.lusis.org/blog/2012/01/31/load-balancing-logstash-with-amqp/ for a first howto on AMQ
- [INFO] Christian says, getting the Log-Server to work is prio one. Once this runs smoothly, we can build more features on top of that.
- The next meeting will take place on Tuesday, October 2, 2012 08:00 CEST
End of the Meeting: 09:30.