Release Notes » History » Revision 8
PREVIEW - WORK-IN-PROGRESS
TYPO3 4.5 Release Notes¶
- Table of contents
- TYPO3 4.5 Release Notes
- Changes and improvements
- Skin / Backend UI
- Administration / Customization
- Extbase / Fluid
- TypoScript / Frontend
The system requirements are the same as 4.4:
- PHP 5.2.x-5.3.x
- MySQL 5.0.x-5.1.x
Note on safe_mode: We still support safe_mode in TYPO3 4.5, but won't be able to fix further bugs related to safe_mode being enabled (e.g. image generation). System Requirements for TYPO3 4.6 will (most probably) be PHP 5.3 and safe_mode disabled. Thus users wanting to upgrade to 4.6 (End of 2011) will have to make sure safe_mode is off, else they can still stick to 4.5 (with LTS) for three years.
Download the packages from the download package page at typo3.org.
To upgrade an existing installation of 4.4 to 4.5, please follow these steps:
- Visit the Install Tool:
- Run through "Update wizards" which are new in 4.5 (you can now go through them using the "Next" button)
- enable old modules that are now system extensions (filelist, info, perm, func, versions)
- activate new modules (workspaces, pagetree)
- Use the "Database COMPARE" section and apply all database schema changes.
- Run through "Update wizards" which are new in 4.5 (you can now go through them using the "Next" button)
- Read about Extbase/Fluid breaking changes. Note that from 4.4 to 4.5 you will be upgrading Extbase / Fluid from 1.2 to 1.3.
Please note that TYPO3 automatically generates a .htaccess file in typo3temp/compressed/ which speeds up the loading of the backend while using Apache. It sets an
Expires and requires Apache to be able to set this through an
.htaccess. If you get errors or do not want this feature, please consider turning it off:
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['generateApacheHtaccess'] = 0
Starting with this release, TYPO3 provides a unified and RFC compliant API to send emails. This also presents new settings (through the Install Tool > All Configuration, in the [MAIL] section) allowing the site admin to decide through which transport mechanism emails generated by TYPO3 core and extensions should be handled: send via PHP's "mail()" or directly through SMTP or sendmail, or just written to a text file.
The release team was in contact with the author of major mail sending extensions (Direct Mail, Powermail, Mailhandler) and all will release newer versions soon after 4.5 is out. Since not all extensions will start using this new API from start, a compatibility layer is provided. This layer might prove not to work correctly if the extension tried to provide MIME encoding on its own. So if you are unsure about it or if you get destroyed mails, consider setting this compatibility layer off (with the drawback of not being able to configure the transport anymore for those pre-4.5 extensions):
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['MAIL']['substituteOldMailAPI'] = 0
Changes and improvements¶
This will list all changes and improvements between TYPO3 4.4 and 4.5. For technical details see ChangeLog included in the typo3_src package.
HTML5 new TYPO3 Backend doctype: This allows the Core and also Extensions to make use of newer browser features. Of course we will still maintain compatibility with IE6, having some graceful fallback where necessary (by using Modernizr:http://www.modernizr.com/ to detect CSS3 capabilities).
UTF8 by default: New installations will use UTF8 automatically. Keep in mind that we will be deprecating all other charsets in the release of 4.5, but still support those charsets. 4.7 or maybe even 4.6 will be the first "UTF-8 only" release. When upgrading from older releases to 4.5, you will have to specifically set
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['setDBinit'] in your localconf.php. An Upgrade Wizard will help you with that.
Usage of ImageMagick 4 and 5 is deprecated: With 4.5 (and in the long term support) we will still support that ancient versions, but will drop support for it starting in 4.6 already. This will enable us to fix bugs in the graphical engine faster and to add new features to it more efficiently.
A new Linkvalidator module was added as a new system extension. It is able to check all kinds of links: internal, external and file links. It looks inside headers, bodytext and other configured fields. It comes with a just-in-time checker and is also able to do the checks via a scheduler task. Development of this module is done through the Linkvalidator team.
We proudly present the new Workspace Module, completely based on ExtJS and powered by Extbase / Fluid (the first core backend module to use this framework). All Workspace improvements were made by a dedicated Workspaces team.
- A Workspace can now implement custom stages to allow more flexible reviewing setups.
- The default "draft workspace" is now obsolete and will be migrated to a real workspace by an Upgrade Wizard.
- Inline Relational Record Editing (IRRE) finally works in Workspaces.
- There is a new Scheduler task for the automatic publication of workspaces. This replaces the non-working CLI script "typo3/mod/user/ws/cli/ws_cli.phpsh" (which was removed).
A whole new mail API based on SwiftMailer was added to replace t3lib_htmlmail. t3lib_htmlmail won't be removed; it is just marked as "deprecated".
With this new Mail API some configuration options were introduced, which allow the administrator to configure how mails should be send (setting
- 'mail': default and backwards compatible setting. This is the most unreliable option. If you are serious about sending mails, consider using "smtp" or "sendmail".
- 'smtp': Sends messages over SMTP. It can deal with encryption and authentication. Requires a mail server. Works exactly the same on Windows, Unix and MacOS.
- 'sendmail': Sends messages by communicating with a locally installed MTA - such as sendmail.
- 'mbox': This doesn't send any mail out, but instead will write every outgoing mail to a file.
The new mail API can be configured to hook itself directly into t3lib_utility_mail::mail(), which means that all mail sending that uses that API (especially extensions) will use the new settings.
New Extension Manager (EM)¶
This module is a brand new all-in-one Extension Manger based on an ExtJS UI.
First the classes of the extension manager were completely refactored while keeping all the functionality of the existing EM. This work was the base upon which a new and modern EM was created. It is based on ExtJS and ExtDirect and provides a smooth way for new users to manage the extensions.
Amongst the old known features it comes with a couple of new possibilities:
- Manage your extensions from TER through the Extension Managers UI (create / delete / transfer extensions keys)
- Support for multiple TER repositories: Create your own repository and be able to maintain your private extensions through the new EM. This is a nice feature also for agencies which maintain lots of custom extensions.
Other general improvements¶
- Added Khmer language (Cambodian).
- An improved version of _.htaccess (former misc/advanced.htaccess) provides more accurate and up-to-date information and is a real working sample on how to setup your Apache to serve TYPO3 pages. This setup is now also used in the introduction and dummy packages
- The Install Tool used to silently fail when there was an error in some statement of the DB "COMPARE". Now these errors are reported in the returned form.
- Added an easy way of creating news that are displayed below the login form in the /typo3 login screen. Just create records of type "System News" in your root folder.
- When TYPO3 runs with two different domain names for the FE and the BE, it is now possible to set accordingly different cookie domains using
- The media element now has a core wizard for rewriting URLs. This allows the user to copy the URL from browser (e.g. a youtube URL like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkA9qw80xO0) and use
it as URL in the media element. Currently supported platforms: youtube, dailymotion, sevenload, vimeo, clipfish, google, metacafe, myvideo, liveleak and veoh. This is the result of a Google Summer of Code student's work.
Frameset is gone / New Pagetree¶
The frameset which used to lay out the backend was removed. The new backend works using the ExtJS viewport, providing an easy, fast and unified interface to manipulate the content of the different panels. See this buzz article for some technical details on how this works. As a side effect, the navigation tree can be resized at will.
Adding to that we have a brand New Pagetree based on ExtJS / ExtDirect and a new powerful API for "trees" and "context menus".
Grid view / Backend layout¶
The Grid View + wizard enables the backend layout to be adapted to the frontend look and feel (16396). This feature was a development from the T3UXW09 and was finished for 4.5. Just create records of type "Backend layout", using the available Wizard to create the grid you want. Then go to the Web>Page module as usual and select the Grid for your page. There is a video demonstrating it in action
Added a Live search with auto-complete / suggest to replace the old "search box". This is also a result from the T3UXW09 which was finished during the 4.5 development phase.
A new file uploader "Plupload" was added, it can be used in the Fileadmin area. This uploader uses HTML5, Gears, Flash and a fallback to HTML4, so that all browsers will find a way of uploading a file in the most confortable way. This also fills the gap between HTML4 and non-Flash enabled devices, which can now use HTML5 Upload flexibility. It needs to be enabled in the User Settings.
Development of RTEhtmlarea didn't stop and there are tons of nice new features and fixes in this new release. Amongst them:
- New option "paste as plaintext". When the toggle is ON, any paste action is intercepted and clipboard content is pasted as plain text. A "Clean paste" feature allows the user to paste content "unformatted", "structure only" or "fully blown".
- Added option in the RemoveFormat plugin to remove typographical punctuation, which might come from Copy&Paste from MS-Word.
- Added a general element properties editing dialogue, where you can add "id", "name", "lang" and other universal attributes to any tag in your content.
Other improvements to the Backend¶
- "Create multiple pages" Wizard improved: The user can decide the type of each page created, and it allows to create more than 9 pages at once.
- t3editor now also enables syntax highlighting when editing files in fileadmin, for example when editing HTML, SQL, XML files. We also updated the underlying codemirror to the latest version (0.9).
- Pages of type "Shortcut" can now also link to the parent page, not only to the first or a random subpage.
- SysFolder was renamed to just "Folder": We don't have any other "Folder type", so this change was done to improve usability for first time users. A Folder can contain any type of record.
- Page module will provide a direct link to the list module when accessing Folders.
- Allow adding query parameters (&...) to internal links (e.g. in fields with browse_links and images). This used to be a feature of RTEhtmlarea links only and is now available on every link wizard.
- The former "Shortcuts" feature (in the toolbar, where one could make shortcuts to different backend modules and pages) was renamed to "Bookmarks" to avoid the confusion with the "Page Shortcuts". This change was also reflected in UserTS options (See 16252).
- Old modules from typo3/mod were moved to real system extensions. These modules are:
- Extension Manager (required)
- List module (required)
- Filelist module
- Info module
- Access module
- Workspace module
Make sure you visit the Update Wizard to enable those extensions after upgrading to 4.5. You are also now able to uninstall those extensions so that not even the entry in the module menu is left.
- DB check -> page tree submodule was removed (module lowlevel).
- "Clearing cache" now is logged to the Admin Tools > Log.
- A hook now allows postprocessing of filelist and TCEforms files operations (15192 and #15221). Typical use-cases:
- Allow editors to upload any picture (e.g., 10 Mpixels) as they don't know how to resize the pictures or do not have the software
- Prevent fileadmin to be overflooded with huge pictures which will never be used in their original size
- Automatically resize "huge" pictures after the upload. Extension using it already: image_autoresize
- New TS config option to disable the "Show secondary options" checkbox. In User-TS, you can set:
options.enableShowPalettes=0to see this feature in action. Default is still "1" like it used to be.
- When copying or translating content elements, the copy / translation will now default to be "hidden". This eases work of translators, in that the "[Translate to language]" elements do not appear in the frontend right away. In order for editors not to loose track of copied elements the default for the checkbox "show hidden elements" is now on. This behaviour can be modified by adding this to typo3conf/extTables.php:
$TCA['tt_content']['ctrl']['hideAtCopy'] = FALSE;
- A new condition is available for the current page record in PageTS. This allows settings for example like this:
mod.SHARED.colPos_list = 0 [page|layout = 1] mod.SHARED.colPos_list = 1,0 [global]
Skin / Backend UI¶
ExtJS and our Skin¶
We updated ExtJS used by the backend to version 3.3.1. Our skin was improved to provide more support for common ExtJS components and the look and feel of them was greatly adapted by our Design & Usability Team.
- ExtJS Grids, Tabs and Buttons are now styled the "TYPO3-way".
- The recycler was refactored and has uses the same skin as the rest of the BE.
- The new Workspaces module includes other components which now have a common styling.
- The whole core now uses a new style of windows and dialogs (with lightbox effect) in the backend (TYPO3.Window and TYPO3.Dialog).
Usability of Editing Forms¶
The "Pages" and "Content Element" forms were completely rearranged and got new and more useable labels. This is also a result from the T3UXW09. During this project we also improved the usability of the "clear field" checkbox (now inside the input area on mouse-over). The same checkbox used to select the default date on a date field, this can now be done in the popup calendar (ExtJS based, which now also correctly supports TCA date ranges).
A new CSH API was introduced and is being used throughout the core. There are no longer CSH icons in the forms. Instead the CSH opens as (ExtJS based) tooltips when hovering over the labels.
The rules for the usability rearrangement (also interesting for extension developers which want to provide a consistency) can be read here.
A sprite generator was added. This allows you to create your own sprite files, also core can generate the files if some new icons were added. sprites.css now contains the autogenerated sprites. This includes some last missing icons. The core is now able to auto-generate sprites from icons if configured to do so. Default setup is to use the available sprites that ship with TYPO3. Using this handler you can advise the SpriteManager to create a sprite out of all custom icons (shipped via extensions), and use this one for displaying custom icons (speeding up the backend). This works transparently: extension developers can continue using "single" icons. Set:
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['spriteIconGenerator_handler'] = 't3lib_spritemanager_SpriteBuildingHandler'
TCEforms now also uses the sprites in a lot more places, providing more consistent icons matching our skin.
Other Improvements in the Skin / Backend UI¶
- Lots of improvements in the Skin were made possible by the Skin team, formed during the 4.5 development phase. Styling of the new workspace module, ExtJS components, new backend structure with added contrast (and drop shadows) between the areas styled page. Plenty of optimizations to backend skin to have a more consistent look and feel and converge more towards the Phoenix (TYPO3v5) development.
- The frontend Admin Panel was styled and has a nice look and feel now (and more fitting to the new backend skin).
- Added current flags from famfam in t3skin in a nice sprite. This means you can now choose between much more flags for your sys_languages.
- Access Lists settings in be_groups configuration are now rendered as checkboxes providing a more useable way of manipulating this huge list of options.
Administration / Customization¶
- TypoScript included from files (via <INCLUDE_TYPOSCRIPT ...>) can now be edited directly through the backend in the t3editor.
- Scheduler: The cron syntax interpreter of the Scheduler was entirely refactored. It now supports the full range of cron syntax features as can be found in Unix manual pages.
- There is a new available task to update the extension list through the scheduler.
- Individual FlexForms fields can now be enabled / disabled via TSConfig and group access lists.
- In the configuration module the array keys are now sorted alphabetically.
- Checkbox at the bottom of the modules are now hideable to provide a cleaner interface: * New User TSconfig options: options.file_list.enableDisplayBigControlPanel, options.file_list.enableDisplayThumbnails, options.file_list.enableClipBoard * New Page TSconfig options: mod.web_list.enableDisplayBigControlPanel, mod.web_list.enableClipBoard, mod.web_list.enableLocalizationView
We now have a better API for Update Wizards in the Install Tool. This also makes the Wizards accessible one after the other (with "Next" buttons). To avoid installing TYPO3 on a system that doesn't match the requirements, a pre-check for required php-extensions was added to the 1-2-3 installer.
Extbase / Fluid¶
- Check out typo3/sysext/fluid/ChangeLog.txt for more details.
- Check out typo3/sysext/extbase/ChangeLog.txt for more details.
- Dependency Injection
- Dispatcher Refactoring & Completely re-done Configuration Manager
- QueryResult refactoring (needed for Fluid Widgets)
- Standalone View
Generic notification methods to show windows and dialogs in the backend based on ExtJS. Just access them via JS via TYPO3.Window and TYPO3.Dialog.
ExtDirect is available in the frontend now. See more information at http://wiki.typo3.org/ExtDirect
A new mode was added to debug the backend with
Rendering of backend modules got easier, using the PageRenderer's new facility method "render()".
There is a new setting that shows all SQL queries in debug mode:
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['sqlDebug'] = 2;.
Based on the new tree API we have a new feature called "TCA trees". For example add this to your typo3conf/extTables.php and see it in action in the "Pages" settings (check the fields Access Usergroups and "General record storage"):
$GLOBALS['TCA']['pages']['columns']['fe_group']['config']['renderMode'] = 'tree'; $GLOBALS['TCA']['pages']['columns']['fe_group']['config']['treeConfig'] = array( 'expandAll' => true, 'parentField' => 'subgroup' ); $GLOBALS['TCA']['pages']['columns']['storage_pid']['config']['type'] = 'select'; $GLOBALS['TCA']['pages']['columns']['storage_pid']['config']['renderMode'] = 'tree'; $GLOBALS['TCA']['pages']['columns']['storage_pid']['config']['treeConfig'] = array( 'parentField' => 'pid' ); $GLOBALS['TCA']['pages']['columns']['storage_pid']['config']['foreign_table'] = 'pages'; $GLOBALS['TCA']['pages']['columns']['storage_pid']['config']['foreign_table_where'] = ' ORDER BY pages.sorting ASC'; $GLOBALS['TCA']['pages']['columns']['storage_pid']['config']['size'] = 10;
CSH for FlexForms is handled more cleanly but requires adjustments. This has an impact in particular for FE plugins. To continue displaying the CSH for their FlexForm, the CSH file must be declared as for other elements, i.e.
For more details, in particular how the key is defined, see this article on buzz.
TypoScript / Frontend¶
- Added easy interface to integrate lightbox style image enlargement in the frontend. Just set the constants in the "CONTENT" part of css_styled_content and your images will get attributes added that are needed for lightbox JS frameworks to work out of the box.
- New TypoScript features:
- Implemented stdWrap in all properties of all cObjects to enhance flexibility
- stdWrap now has property .numberFormat
- GIFBUILDER has a new object type ELLIPSE
- New content object "FLUIDTEMPLATE" allowing to use the coolness of fluid templates to build TYPO3 websites (instead of using markers / subparts)
- New content object "SVG" which works on all browsers. It uses svgweb library to provide cross-browser support
- New property .noRescale for IMG_RESOURCE, allowing to provide unscaled high resolution images, useful for example when transforming the rendered HTML into a PDF
- matchCondition now also recognizes iOS and Android.
- A new option to force SSL on a page base was added, a functionality which was previously only available through extensions.
- Added support for RDFa doctype headers (semantic web)
Database API / DBAL¶
- Prepared queries are now part of the TYPO3 database API (15457). The API is mostly based on PDO's method naming and currently supports SELECT queries. TYPO3 will progressively use this new database API which is cleaner and quicker when using DBAL. Extension authors are encouraged to use it in their own extensions.
- DBAL now supports "FIND_IN_SET()" (14818) function and maps it correct functions in case usage under AdoDB. Using FIND_IN_SET in listQuery() will provide performance improvements in all areas, as this is used in several places (backend and frontend, for example for checking the group list permissions).
- Output of SQL parser when dealing with prepared queries is cached for enhanced performances. To activate this caching if you don't have a memcached server:
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['useCachingFramework'] = 1;
In order to have a much higher cache hit ratio, you should use one or more memcached servers. To activate this enhanced caching, use:
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['useCachingFramework'] = 1; $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['caching']['cacheConfigurations']['dbal'] = array( 'backend' => 't3lib_cache_backend_MemcachedBackend', 'options' => array( 'servers' => array('localhost:11211', 'otherhost:11211'), ) );
- Introduced a form protection (CSRF) API (16437 and 16439). See notes from the Security Team about this new feature.
- Provide a task for bulk update of passwords for use with saltedpasswords (16360)
- Added "*compress data*" options to DbBackend of the Caching framework (15141). Enable it like this:
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['caching']['cacheConfigurations']['cache_pages'] = array( 'frontend' => 't3lib_cache_frontend_VariableFrontend', 'backend' => 't3lib_cache_backend_DbBackend', 'options' => array( 'cacheTable' => 'cachingframework_cache_pages', 'tagsTable' => 'cachingframework_cache_pages_tags', 'compression' => TRUE, ), );
- Some often used functions of t3lib_div were speed improved.
- All the stdWrap additions and optimizations also improved the performance of rendering: The general stdWrap method now processes only existing properties in a very small loop and returns fast if there is nothing to do. New additions of stdWrap also take care not to call the stdWrap function in vain (if no stdWrap property is set for example). FE rendering should boost a lot, while gaining flexibility!
- Caching Framework:
- Add scheduler task to execute garbage collection (15306)
- Implement redis as cache backend (16410)
- The caching framework was updated to the latest FLOW3 version.
- The Variable frontend now supports the igbinary serializer which speeds up serialization und unserialization of arrays and objects and leads to smaller cache data. The module will be used transparently, if it is available on the system.
- Performance improvement for queries that expect just a single result row (11916)
- Lots of calls to exec_SELECTgetRows have been replaced by exec_SELECTgetSingleRow (16445)