TYPO3 450alpha2 » History » Revision 2
TYPO3 4.5.0 alpha2¶
- Table of contents
- TYPO3 4.5.0 alpha2
Upgrading and compatibility¶
Please note that this version is released as an early alpha release. It shows a snapshot of our development so far on the road to 4.5.0, which will be released in January 2011. Take a look at the Release Plan for more information about the schedule.
To upgrade an existing installation of 4.4 to 4.5.0alpha2, please consider the following steps:
- Visit the Install Tool:
- Use the "Database COMPARE" section and apply all database schema changes.
- Use the "Update Wizard" to enable old modules that are now system extensions (filelist, info, perm, func).
- See typo3/sysext/fluid/ChangeLog.txt for some breaking changes in Fluid which might affect your extensions.
- See typo3/sysext/extbase/ChangeLog.txt for some changes in Extbase (caching issue fixed) that might also require changes in your extbase extensions.
- The API for registering additional cache frontends or backends has changed. As of TYPO3 4.5 only the classname needs to be specified in favor of both path to the php file and the classname. Instead the class needs to be registered for autoloading. See 15586) for details. Example:
Try out the introduction package which provides a very easy way of installing TYPO3 and having some example setup already in place.
Changes and improvements¶
This will list the noteable changes and improvements between TYPO3 4.5alpha1 and 4.5alpha2. For technical details see ChangeLog included in the typo3_src package. For changes between the current stable 4.4 and alpha1, please read TYPO3 4.5.0alpha1.
- When TYPO3 runs with two different domain names for the FE and the BE, it is now possible to set accordingly different cookie domains using $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['FE']['cookieDomain'] and $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['cookieDomain'] (15334).
- Pages of type "Shortcut" can now also link to the parent page, not only to the first or a random subpage (8623).
- The media element now has a core wizard for rewriting URLs (15699). This allows the user to copy the URL from browser (eg a youtube URL like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkA9qw80xO0) and use
it in the media element as URL. Currently supported platforms: youtube, dailymotion, sevenload, vimeo, clipfish, google, metacafe, myvideo, liveleak and veoh.
- The frameset was removed (15711). This makes the Backend a lot faster. Now the navigation tree also can be resized. The new backend works using the ExtJS viewport, providing an easy and unified interface to manipulate the content of the different panels.
Extbase / Fluid¶
- Fixed Extbase Caching Bug.
- Check out typo3/sysext/fluid/ChangeLog.txt for more details, or follow the fluid repository
- Check out typo3/sysext/extbase/ChangeLog.txt for more details, or follow the extbase repository
- Added easy interface to integrate lightbox style image enlargement in the frontend ((15689). Just set some constants in the "CONTENT" part of css_styled_content and your images will get attributes added that are needed for lightbox JS frameworks to work out of the box.
- ExtDirect is available in the frontend now (15754). See http://wiki.typo3.org/ExtDirect
Database API / DBAL¶
- Output of SQL parser when dealing with prepared queries is cached for enhanced performances. To activate this caching if you don't have a memcached server:
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['useCachingFramework'] = 1;
In order to have a much higher cache hit ratio, you should use one or more memcached servers. To activate this enhanced caching, use:
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['useCachingFramework'] = 1; $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['caching']['cacheConfigurations']['dbal'] = array( 'backend' => 't3lib_cache_backend_MemcachedBackend', 'options' => array( 'servers' => array('localhost:11211', 'otherhost:11211'), ) );
Still to come¶
We are moving forward on our roadmap and there are several teams working on tasks already. The ground stone has been laid, and it's time to get our hands dirty.
Several things might happen until alpha3, which will be released on :
- The results from the Workspaces team sprint will start appearing and we will have some usability improvements to the WS-module,
- We might get finally "UTF-8 by default" for new installations,
- More work around the new possibilities with the new ExtJS based viewports (e.g. the top toolbar).
- A t3editor that can be used for editing files in fileadmin (with syntax highlighting for xml, sql, Typoscript, etc),
- Usability enhancements coming from the usability team and implemented by helping developers,
It seems to be the right time for you to give us a help by:
- Joining our teams,
- Reviewing issues that are already pending on the core list,
- Supply patches for new features or bug fixes,
- Participate in discussions on the typo3.projects.v4 list around new features and concepts.