12th Release Team Meeting TYPO3 4.7¶
The 4.7 release team meets weekly for a Skype discussion round on the current activities.
If you find this report interesting or have some comment or question about a particular topic, don't hesitate to follow-up on the thread in the core mailing list.
On Monday, March 5th 2012 we held our 12th meeting with the following participants:
- Steffen Ritter (4.7 Release Manager)
- Xavier Perseguers (4.6 Release Manager)
- Ernesto Baschny (4.5 Release Manager)
- Ben van't Ende (Community Manager)
- Benni Mack (Core Team Co-Leader)
- Oliver Hader (Core Team Leader)
TYPO3 4.5 // TYPO3 4.6¶
- There are currently about 40 - 50 merged bugfixes for TYPO3 4.5 and TYPO3 4.6 each. For TYPO3 4.4 there are only 4 bugfixes merged.
We decided to release new versions of 4.5 and 4.6 on Tuesday, March 6th 2012.
- Ernesto takes care of informing all the submodule-linked teams to prepare their repository.
- On Tuesday, March 13th 2012 the Release Team will publish a Release Canditate for 4.6 and 4.5 containing the first Feature Backports to stable branches. (for topic "Feature Backports" please have a look on a buzz posting)
- Two weeks later, these backports will be released as normal "patch-level" version, if no problems occur.
- Ernesto and Xavier are going to check, what needs to be integrated to the Backport Release Candidates, as until now not many patches are merged to the backport branches yet.
- The Government Package has been broken when releasing Beta 1. This already has been fixed and a new snapshot release has been published.
- The blank package currently does not work correctly either. "about" and "aboutmodules" have introduced dependencies on extbase, which is not installed by default within the blank/dummy package. Steffen R. is going to change the Blank/Dummy package to make extbase and fluid enabled by default.
Re-instating Beta 3 // Small exception to Feature Freeze¶
- The Extbase Team is going to meet up in the week after Beta 2 to fix long outstanding Bugs (f.e. with "workspaces") and work on some issues for 4.7. Furthermore some little features might be included in extbase there as well as. The bugfixes of bigger stuff might need to change the API a little bit, too.
- To enable the Extbase Team putting full efforts into their code-sprint an exception to the Feature Freeze is granted to them. This will not be a general exception, but checked for every probably newly introduced feature seperately, comparing benefits and impact to the TYPO3 4.7 release.
Adapting Introduction Package and Government Package¶
- Information in IP and GP somehow is outdated and the current content does not reflect our feature set.
Olly will create an Manual about what can be adapted at the Content-Masters as well as move the GP to a official place, so that editing may start.
- Especially the Workspaces demonstration in IP should be enhanced as well as the HTML5 Video/Audio stuff should be explained in Detail.
We should furthermore think about moving from tt_news to news for the next major version.
- Within the Government Package the information about FAL and the accessible gallery needs to be removed and the accessible search plugin should be integrated.
- After the changes all pages have to be revalidated - in terms of Content as well as in terms of code-compliance.
Release Planning and transparency¶
Tolleiv remarked at the core list that the last weeks of Release Team work have not been as transparent as they should have been.
He noted that Release Notes were ommitted and most communication happened on Twitter only.
- We agreed that there should be release notes, even on canceled meetings just to inform the community, that we did not forget about them.
- Steffen on purpose did not touch any "Bugfix" issue on forge prior to the Feature Freeze, which now sadly leads to empty "milestones" since Beta 1 is released, but no new assignments have been done in Laax.
- Steffen will now clean-up the issue tracker and assign issues according to milestones within the roadmap.
Announcing the Government Package¶
We talked about the new Government Package and that it has not been officially announced, yet. We aim to have a news article telling the whole story and showing the benefits. Furthermore it should be completely bilangual. Ben offered to translate the package to English. Steffen, Olly and Ben will join forces to create the mentioned announcement on news.typo3.org.
TYPO3 4.8/6.0 and FAL¶
We shortly discussed the further progress of FAL.
- The API has been merged to master already as promised in the news article last week. One round of additional PHPdoc and CGL clean-up already has been done by Georg Ringer.
- FAL shall be published in the next major release after TYPO3 4.7
- Having a TYPO3 6.0 release in October 2012 would ease many backward-compatibility overlays in the TypoScript part - besides that, we can get rid of the compatibility modes pointing back to TYPO3 3.8
- The current master will be merged back to plain-fileabstraction branch on Incubator.git and the Team will finish up most of the 100 open issues in March 2012 - afterwards the fixed patch-sets will again pushed to Gerrit - just in time to explain and talk about during the TYPO3 Developer Days 2012
Since the "TYPO3 6.0" topic removes the barrier of integrating new features and breaking changes, we discussed the demand of a well-prepared strategy in terms of a roadmap from 4.7 via 6.0 to 7.0 and maybe even further. We are going to communicate and discuss the strategy (as a suggestion) during the next TYPO3 events, like the Developer Days, TYPO3 Camps and individual User Group Meetings to get as much feedback as possible - thus, we prepare the resources/slides/information that can be used to spread the idea and vision...