TYPO3 47 alpha1 » History » Revision 13
TYPO3 4.7 alpha1¶
Released November 29th 2011
- Table of contents
- TYPO3 4.7 alpha1
Upgrading and compatibility¶
This first alpha release of TYPO3 4.7 shows a snapshot of the current development on the road to the final version. TYPO3 4.7.0 will be released on April 24th 2012. This very release is focused on removing deprecated functionality from the core and a highly improved frontend rendering concerning web accessibility.
To upgrade an existing installation to 4.6.0alpha1, please consider the following steps:
- Open the Install Tool:
- Use the "Database COMPARE" section and apply all database schema changes.
- Use the "Update Wizard" to upgrade the compatibility version to 4.7.
Try out the Introduction Package which provides a very easy way to get the first contact with TYPO3 - there are various examples integrated to show how particular features work in TYPO3.
Besides the regular Introduction Package TYPO3 4.7 comes with the brand new Government Package which is intended to be a show-off of web accessible standard and thus being useful for a disposal in governmental environments.
What happened so far¶
- Many unused deprecated files and functions have been removed in
Please have these breaking changes in mind while upgrading
- indexed_search has now an extensions available which uses MySQL fulltext feature
If you want to use and try this feature, install the additional indexed_search_mysql extensions
- ADOdb library has been upgraded to version 5.14
- Icons for the filelist conent element in frontend are configurable
currently there is no documentation available, which will be improved soon
- The caching framework now uses a compressed database backend by default for pages and page_sections
If you have less CPU power but more database space, you might are free to revert back to use the uncompressed version again
- A new set of interfaces called "collection interfaces" has been introduced
These interfaces define an generic and common API how to deal with common data sets in TYPO3.
A new Clipboard will be based on this, as well as the possiblity to arrange TCA records or files in a collection.
Furthermore, the file abstraction layer (FAL) will use them to visualize generic folders.
- Frontend-Accessibility features have been integrated
The rendering of CSS Styles Content has been overworked to generate valid output for the available document types.
Especially for HTML5 rendering, CSS Styled Content has been overworked completely, to use the new possiblities, being as semantic as possible and reduce the amount of superfluous markup.
Furthermore no inline CSS is generated anymore.
See a detailed list of all issues that have been solved for this topic: http://forge.typo3.org/projects/typo3v4-accessibility/issues?query_id=274
There are a lot of other projects that are targeted for TYPO3 4.7 and which shall be part of on of the next releases. As always the first beta releases also defined the feature freeze - thus, no new features will be allowed after TYPO3 4.7 beta1 - the feature freeze is scheduled for February 7th 2012.
See the TYPO3 4.7 article to get more details for the next upcoming major release of the v4 branch: http://news.typo3.org/news/article/typo3-47-with-standards-and-accessibility-to-a-new-decade
The next alpha release (TYPO3 4.7 alpha2) will be released on December 20th 2011 and is focused on upgrading to Ext JS 4 and cleaning up the backend.
If you want to support TYPO3 4.7 to make it a shiny release, you are highly encouraged to
- review pending issues (see http://review.typo3.org/)
- hand in your ideas and changes by creating patches
- follow the discussions in the typo3.projects.v4 news group and provide your ideas and feedback
Thanks a bunch!