Update changelog for new UpgradeWizard API
- remove sentence that API should not yet be used
- add link to Upgrade Wizard section in Core API where the new API is now being used: https://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/CoreApiReference/ApiOverview/UpdateWizards/Index.html
#1 Updated by Susanne Moog 11 months ago
- Status changed from New to Needs Feedback
Can we first figure out what the target/use case of the changelog rst file is? Imho this one does not need changes, as it was and is correct for version 9.4 and the API included there. Changing that would mean that we'd have to basically adjust all rst changelog files all the time to keep them up to date. For me the changelog should reflect the version it was written for and not the current state.
#2 Updated by Sybille Peters 11 months ago
- Status changed from Needs Feedback to Closed
I agree: The Changelog entry is for 9.4 and thus it does correctly reflect the state for 9.4. I did not see it that way yesterday. Yesterday I was actually not sure what the way to go is for latest TYPO3 9. I found contradicting information. I guess, I should have come to the conclusion that "TYPO3 Explained" is correct and the Changelog entry is for an earlier TYPO3 version. That was an oversight.
I will close this issue.
However, I do think adding a link there (from Changelog to section about Upgrade Wizards in TYPO3 Explained") would be helpful. But I also think this should be decided in general. Right now, there is an issue open for that:
- Should information from Changelog be moved to main manuals? at all? It should probably be decided case by case, but what is the general best practices: Just leave Changelog exactly how it was written, add links later when information is added to new manual, move extensive information to main manual, add link to changelog in main manual, or ....?
Also, there is an open issue for version hints. This is also related to this, because I do think having a note in section about upgrade wizards in TYPO3 Explained with information, this is relevant since TYPO3 9.whatever, would be helpful. There are so many changes in TYPO3, between versions, in versions, anything that helps to clarify where you don't have to look in 2 places or at least have links from one place to the other, is helpful. But that is just my personal opinion. (I do agree, that it is not always possible or realistic to go the path that is more work, but I think we should focus on people using TYPO3, especially new people and make it as easy and clear as possible).