Bug #18364

Broken special chars in module title names (e.g. "TemplaVoilà ")

Added by Stephane Dupont almost 12 years ago. Updated over 9 years ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Should have
Assignee:
-
Category:
-
Target version:
-
Start date:
2008-03-04
Due date:
% Done:

0%

TYPO3 Version:
4.2
PHP Version:
5.2
Tags:
Complexity:
Is Regression:
Sprint Focus:

Description

The module title (in left menu, see attached screenshot), but also in the help label : "What is the TemplaVoilá page module?" has a problem (charset problem ?)

It should be TemplaVoilà, and not TemplaVoilá or TemplaVoilÃ

(issue imported from #M7744)

Sans-titre-2.jpg View (10.5 KB) Administrator Admin, 2008-03-04 11:02


Related issues

Related to TYPO3 Core - Feature #18501: Enable UTF-8 by default Closed 2008-03-26

History

#1 Updated by Dmitry Dulepov over 11 years ago

Looks like a local problem (see image)

#2 Updated by Sascha Egerer over 11 years ago

I've got the same problem on a fresh install. Database collation is "utf8_general_ci".
I've updatet the translation files with the translation handling but the problem still exists.

But it only exists if the Backend Language is english. If i switch to german everything is displayed correct

#3 Updated by Lars Dyhr over 11 years ago

I've got the same problem on several new installations (4.2.0) on varying servers. At first I suspected this to be related to the translation pack but when I force the character encoding from default ISO-8859-1 to utf-8 the characters are shown correct.
So, if the problem is related to the character encoding of the backend.php script we have to alter the method: initCharset in typo3/template.php
function initCharset() {
// Set charset to the charset provided by the current backend users language selection:
$this->charset = $GLOBALS['LANG']->charSet ? $GLOBALS['LANG']->charSet : $this->charset;
// Return meta tag:
return '<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset='.$this->charset.'" />';
}
- OR figure out how to set $GLOBALS['LANG']->charSet to utf-8 :-) which I couldn't figure out in my little research.
Should default not be utf-8 anyways?

#4 Updated by Tolleiv Nietsch about 10 years ago

this is obviously a Core issue (which shows up whenever TemplaVoilà is used - therefore I'll move that to the Core-Project

#5 Updated by Chris topher over 9 years ago

For me this problem is there, if you use different charsets in your database and in your backend.
E.g. when you use [SYS][setDBinit] = SET NAMES utf8; so that the database uses utf-8, but something different in [BE][forceCharset] for the encoding of the backend.

When you use utf-8 for your database, you also must set [BE][forceCharset] = utf-8. Otherwise you will see broken special chars in your content in the backend (or you already saved the content with the wrong encoding in the DB).

I don't think that TYPO3 can work correctly with a utf-8 database without [BE][forceCharset] = utf-8 at all.

#6 Updated by Steffen Kamper over 9 years ago

this will change in 4.5 anyways, we hope to drop so much charset problems using utf8 in BE only.

Anyway this is no bug in trunk but in configuration, as Christopher already mentioned.

#7 Updated by Chris topher over 9 years ago

Closed, configuration issue.

Also available in: Atom PDF