Bug #49996

Backend headers font and non-english characters

Added by Marcin Sągol over 7 years ago. Updated about 3 years ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Must have
Category:
Backend User Interface
Target version:
Start date:
2013-07-13
Due date:
% Done:

100%

Estimated time:
TYPO3 Version:
6.2
PHP Version:
5.5
Tags:
Complexity:
easy
Is Regression:
Sprint Focus:

Description

The font for backend headers has changed but did someone tested it for other languages than english or am i missing some configuration option for it (to change font)?

I have attached picture that shows how polish characters are rendered now. Is it possible to change the font of extend character set for current one?


Files

t3-be-header-font.jpeg (12.3 KB) t3-be-header-font.jpeg Marcin Sągol, 2013-07-13 11:11
share-regular-webfont.ttf (86.9 KB) share-regular-webfont.ttf Jigal van Hemert, 2013-08-28 18:06
share-regular-webfont.woff (42.8 KB) share-regular-webfont.woff Jigal van Hemert, 2013-08-28 18:06
share-regular-webfont.eot (34.6 KB) share-regular-webfont.eot Jigal van Hemert, 2013-08-28 18:06
share-regular-webfont.svg (193 KB) share-regular-webfont.svg Jigal van Hemert, 2013-08-28 18:06
share-font-extended.png (1.37 KB) share-font-extended.png Jigal van Hemert, 2013-08-30 02:59
#1

Updated by Philipp Gampe over 7 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Needs Feedback

You can override this with a custom stylesheet.
http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/SkinningReference/UseCases/UseCase1LoadAdditionalStylesheetsToSkinTheBackend/Index.html

The font has been changed to the Share font (the TYPO3 font). I guess it does only include limited support for unicode.

Does this help you?

#2

Updated by Ernesto Baschny about 7 years ago

This indeed could be a problem for languages which use some latin characters which are included in Share but also some characters which are not implemented in Share (as a mix).

See http://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Share for a list of characters that are missing in Share.

The result is that for the characters that do not have a Share font equivalent, the fallback seems to be the next font in the fallback list which provides that letter (in this case, Verdana, which has a bigger rendering at the same font-size of 24px - and thus looks unproportional).

I have no idea on how to solve that other than making Share font configurable (enabled by default but which can be disabled if the main language of the site is some language which fall into this problematic area - at least polish but might also be others.

Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Cyrillic etc are not a problem because none of these characters have a Share font representation, thus all will come form Verdana / Arial etc - and thus look proportional.

#3

Updated by Jigal van Hemert about 7 years ago

I added most missing European glyphs. The files live in typo3/sysext/t3skin/Resources/Public/Fonts.
On my local system it somehow doesn't work, but maybe there is a caching problem.

If these work fine I'll add the missing glyphs to the bold and italic variations and create the webfonts.

#4

Updated by Ernesto Baschny about 7 years ago

Jigal, it works! Would be cool to add also the missing glyphs for bold and italics, and then we replace them in one go. We should provide the modified font back to the original author, if we manage to contact him (we've tried in the past months with no results).

#5

Updated by Ernesto Baschny about 7 years ago

  • Status changed from Needs Feedback to Accepted
#6

Updated by Jigal van Hemert about 7 years ago

Share is extended to over 550 characters in all variations.

Patch follows.

#7

Updated by Gerrit Code Review about 7 years ago

  • Status changed from Accepted to Under Review

Patch set 1 for branch master has been pushed to the review server.
It is available at https://review.typo3.org/23482

#8

Updated by Gerrit Code Review about 7 years ago

Patch set 2 for branch master has been pushed to the review server.
It is available at https://review.typo3.org/23482

#9

Updated by Gerrit Code Review about 7 years ago

Patch set 3 for branch master has been pushed to the review server.
It is available at https://review.typo3.org/23482

#10

Updated by Jigal van Hemert about 7 years ago

  • Status changed from Under Review to Resolved
  • % Done changed from 0 to 100
#11

Updated by Riccardo De Contardi about 3 years ago

  • Status changed from Resolved to Closed

Also available in: Atom PDF