Bug #102345


Copy/Move pages with existing translation into another site with different language setup results in orphaned problematic page translation records

Added by Josef Glatz 7 months ago. Updated about 2 months ago.

Under Review
Must have
Target version:
Start date:
Due date:
% Done:


Estimated time:
TYPO3 Version:
PHP Version:
Is Regression:
Sprint Focus:



I've also created a video where I try to explain the thematic right in a TYPO3 12.4 backend:

Steps to reproduce

  • set up a TYPO3 instance with 2 TYPO3 site configs with different language setup
    • site a: default:en (0) + translation:de (1)
    • site b: default:de (0) + translation:en (2)
  • Create a subpage in site a and add a translation
  • Copy the created subpage into site b
  • The translated page translation is now "somehow" orphaned as you can only reach it (in TYPO3 12) via the Backend Live Search component (e.g. via #page:uidOfTranslation or the title)

Resulting problems

  • the editor does not know what's going on
  • the editor maybe thinks, that TYPO3 is dumb due to the fact, that the copied records are not changed (default to translation and vice-versa)
  • or the editor get's not stopped by TYPO3 while trying to copy/move a record to another TYPO3 site with a different language setup
  • there are scenarios if there are relations like FAL and/or CEs which results in datalost if the orphaned translation get's deleted via the TYPO3 backend AKA DataHandler
  • we also had wrong/problematic speaking urls / slugs. (but this is something I did not investigated when the problem occurs a year ago)


  • in our scenario the problem seems to be occured in TYPO3 9 or 10 when an editor copied a subpagetree from one site to another site. In our scenario, those orphaned page translation records where easily findable via SELECT uid, pid, sys_language_uid, l10n_source, l10n_parent, slug, title, hidden,cruser_id, deleted FROM pages WHERE deleted = 0 AND l10n_parent != l10n_source;
  • in 2022, @Benni Mack had also the same scenario in his real life projects in B13
  • we try to disable copying/moving from one site to another site in this project with hooking into the DataHandler (I will add the workaround code when done/finished)


IDK so far. But I've tried to show/describe it in my video (linked in the issue description up):

  • stop copy/move from one site to another site via DataHandler when die language setup is not the same betwwen sites
  • add a modal with a wizard where the editor have the possibilities to decide what to do
  • or introduce a completely new way of copying empty structures. e.g. one wants to copy just the skeleton of a page with empty elements but with correct settings for backendLayout and so... (you see: beLayout can also be differently configured in another site, so one might say just stop copying from site to site :-) )

Acceptance Criteria

  • prohibit problematic copy/move or improve this as a feature in the TYPO3 core (TBD)
  • document the actual problem until it get's fixed (or not fixed)

Related external links


clipboard-202403081039-hvvqf.png (52.1 KB) clipboard-202403081039-hvvqf.png André Buchmann, 2024-03-08 09:39
clipboard-202403081041-gki6w.png (81.5 KB) clipboard-202403081041-gki6w.png André Buchmann, 2024-03-08 09:41
clipboard-202403081043-ibuah.png (46.3 KB) clipboard-202403081043-ibuah.png André Buchmann, 2024-03-08 09:43

Related issues 6 (3 open3 closed)

Related to TYPO3 Core - Story #101564: User Interface related translation issuesNew2023-08-03

Related to TYPO3 Core - Task #103814: Add tests for copying localized content to non-translated pageResolved2024-05-10

Related to TYPO3 Core - Bug #103828: Copy-Paste: Prevent orphaned Resolved2024-05-13

Related to TYPO3 Core - Bug #93744: Copying pages with translations to sites without translations should not copy translationsNew2021-03-15

Related to TYPO3 Core - Bug #104010: Copy & Paste creates invisible translationsClosed2024-06-10

Related to TYPO3 Core - Bug #90610: Copy-pasting a record that's already translated in "connected" mode, to a different language causing "free" mode, creates duplicate(s) in "connected" translationsNew2020-03-01


Also available in: Atom PDF