Feature #17274

TCEmain labels are hard-coded in English

Added by Dmitry Dulepov about 12 years ago. Updated 8 months ago.

Status:
Accepted
Priority:
Should have
Assignee:
-
Category:
DataHandler aka TCEmain
Start date:
2007-05-03
Due date:
% Done:

0%

PHP Version:
Tags:
Complexity:
Sprint Focus:
On Location Sprint

Description

They should be moved to one of standard language files (or to a new file) and appropriate calls are made in TCEmain for $LANG

(issue imported from #M5555)

0005555_versionizelabels.patch View (14.9 KB) Administrator Admin, 2009-11-11 23:58

0006954-historyDuringPublishing_v2.patch View (3.43 KB) Administrator Admin, 2009-11-12 00:14

History

#1 Updated by Tolleiv Nietsch over 9 years ago

attached first small change regards that - all labels which are related to versionizing functions... (might cause problems if submitted before #17919)...

#2 Updated by Steffen Kamper over 9 years ago

woah - why was it never sent to corelist?

#3 Updated by Tolleiv Nietsch over 9 years ago

I'll try to find some more time in the next two days to add the other labels as well ... ;)

#4 Updated by Steffen Gebert over 9 years ago

What's the status of the patch, Tolleiv?
I just got delighted by "Attempt to delete page which has subpages". Do you have a new version or should I work a bit on the other labels?

#5 Updated by Tolleiv Nietsch over 9 years ago

I didn't continue because there was the idea to change to handling of these labels ... that's needed because currently the labels are localized and then they're written into the database as localized strings ... that's not very admin-friendly because if they're running a website with 5 or more languages - you would expect that the admin is able to understand them all ;)

Therefor the locallang-"key" should be stored and TYPO3 should localize it whenever a user checks the log ... I did not start anything in this direction - maybe during christmas and new year ;)

#6 Updated by Jigal van Hemert about 9 years ago

If error messages are localized then they must included a well defined error code. If I'm searching on the web and in mail archives for 'Poging een pagina te verwijderen met vertalingen waarvoor geen toegang verleend is.' I will never find 'Attempt to delete page which has prohibited localizations.'

#7 Updated by Alexander Opitz about 6 years ago

  • Status changed from New to Needs Feedback
  • Target version deleted (0)

The issue is very old, does this issue exists in newer versions of TYPO3 CMS (4.5 or 6.1)?

Error messages in TYPO3 6.0 and newer have an identifier number.

#8 Updated by Steffen Gebert about 6 years ago

Alexander, you mean the timestamp of the exception?

I'm pretty sure that this code hasn't been changed to Exceptions, so nothing has changed, yet.

#9 Updated by Alexander Opitz about 6 years ago

  • Status changed from Needs Feedback to New
  • TYPO3 Version changed from 4.1 to 6.2
  • PHP Version deleted (4.3)

Oh misread the point of the errors. Hm, yes, that is a open feature request.

#10 Updated by Benni Mack over 4 years ago

  • Is Regression set to No

The original parts were fixed.
What needs to be done:
- DataHandler methods that return strings (e.g. canDeletePage()) should be localized (not the log info)

#11 Updated by Susanne Moog over 1 year ago

  • Category set to DataHandler aka TCEmain

#12 Updated by Oliver Hader over 1 year ago

  • Status changed from New to Accepted
  • Target version set to 9 LTS

#13 Updated by Oliver Hader over 1 year ago

  • Tracker changed from Bug to Feature

#14 Updated by Gerrit Code Review over 1 year ago

  • Status changed from Accepted to Under Review

Patch set 1 for branch master of project Packages/TYPO3.CMS has been pushed to the review server.
It is available at https://review.typo3.org/55230

#15 Updated by Gerrit Code Review over 1 year ago

Patch set 2 for branch master of project Packages/TYPO3.CMS has been pushed to the review server.
It is available at https://review.typo3.org/55230

#16 Updated by Gerrit Code Review over 1 year ago

Patch set 3 for branch master of project Packages/TYPO3.CMS has been pushed to the review server.
It is available at https://review.typo3.org/55230

#17 Updated by Gerrit Code Review over 1 year ago

Patch set 4 for branch master of project Packages/TYPO3.CMS has been pushed to the review server.
It is available at https://review.typo3.org/55230

#18 Updated by Gerrit Code Review over 1 year ago

Patch set 5 for branch master of project Packages/TYPO3.CMS has been pushed to the review server.
It is available at https://review.typo3.org/55230

#19 Updated by Oliver Hader over 1 year ago

Copied from https://review.typo3.org/#/c/55230/

Unfortunately this is the wrong approach.
With this patch, labels would be stored in the language of the current backend user in either database or history log. That means, that a German editor would cause log entries in German - which are not understandable for French editors anymore. The labels used for database records are written independent of the language of the record (language of user vs language of record).
For log entries the only way to solve this is to make use of abstract label keys there and translate it when displaying the log items - that's out of scope currently.

#20 Updated by Oliver Hader over 1 year ago

  • Status changed from Under Review to New

#21 Updated by Oliver Hader over 1 year ago

  • Status changed from New to Accepted

#22 Updated by Susanne Moog 10 months ago

  • Target version changed from 9 LTS to Candidate for Major Version

#23 Updated by Susanne Moog 8 months ago

  • Sprint Focus set to On Location Sprint

Also available in: Atom PDF